More than 600 students from NDU’s College of International Security Affairs, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, and the National War College received their diplomas on Thursday, June 10, in front of historic Roosevelt Hall at Fort Lesley J. McNair in southwest Washington, D.C.
The Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, USN, delivered the graduation address. He is the 17th chairman, and serves as the principal military advisor to the Secretary of Defense and the President of the United States.
Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker received an honorary Doctor of National Security Affairs degree, Honoris Causa. Crocker served as Ambassador to Iraq from March 2007 until February 2009. During his nearly 40 years in the U.S. Foreign Service, he has previously served as the Ambassador to Pakistan, Syria, Kuwait, and Lebanon. He also served as the International Affairs Advisor at the National War College from August 2003 until September 2004. Ambassador Crocker received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award in 2009. He currently serves as Dean of the Bush School of Government & Public Service at Texas A&M University.
The National Defense University is the nation’s premier center for Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) and is under the direction of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
The president of the University is Vice Admiral Ann E. Rondeau, U.S. Navy. The Director of the College of International Security Affairs is Dr. R. Joseph DeSutter; the Commandant of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces is Rear Admiral Garry E. Hall, U.S. Navy; and the Commandant of the National War College is Major General Robert P. Steel, U. S. Air Force.
The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education as a graduate-level institution that prepares future leaders of the armed forces and other civilian agencies for high-level policy, command, and staff responsibilities. Approximately 54 percent of the graduates are senior officers from the U.S. armed services. Federal government civilians, international students from more than 60 countries and private sector civilians make up the other 46 percent.
For more information on the National Defense University, visit www.ndu.edu. For Alumni information, go to www.nduf.org.
CISA graduates (63) will receive a Master of Arts degree in Strategic Security Studies with a Concentration in Combating Terrorism.
ICAF graduates (319) completing degree requirements receive a Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy.
National War College graduates (221) receive a Master of Science degree in National Security Strategy.
Photo galleries coming soon. Check back next week!