Strategic Leadership General Information
Strategic Leadership Course Purpose
To develop innovative strategic thinkers and change agents who can create and lead agile organizations to
attain and maintain a competitive advantage in a volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous strategic environment.
Strategic Leadership Course Objectives
Strategic Leadership Course Threads
- Evaluate, analyze, and synthesize strategic leader competencies, to include technical, conceptual, and interpersonal competencies as they relate to transformational leadership and transforming and changing organizations. (LA #2,5)
- Evaluate, develop and apply the tools of strategic leadership for implementing coherent strategies to lead organizational transformation in joint, interagency, multinational, and cross-cultural environments. (LA #5)
- Evaluate the moral, social, and ethical impact of leading in the 21st century information age organization. (LA #5)
- Enhance self-awareness and engage in continuous self-assessment, development, and life-long learning. (LA #5)
This course addresses the challenges of strategic leadership. The concept of strategic leadership serves as
the overarching framework for the course and provides intellectual underpinnings in four specific areas:
The strategic environmental context; strategic leader competencies; organizational change; and creating
resilient and effective organizations.
Key threads that dominate the leadership curriculum during the academic year comprise:
- an understanding of environmental complexity (internal and external),
- key strategic leadership competencies and skills,
- creative, critical and systems thinking,
- meeting ethical challenges inherent in operating at the strategic level,
- leading change and transformation,
- promoting competitive advantage,
- enhancing self development, and
- meeting the challenges of information age national security and private sector organizations and industries.