Supply Chain Management General Information
Supply Chain Management is a driving force behind America's economic growth and
prosperity and Defense Logistics. It is important to understand the critical role supply
chains play in supporting American industry and national security.
- To develop a broader understanding of integrated logistics systems.
- To prepare students with the skills to take Supply Chain Management concepts and practices and apply them in DoD's Logistics Transformation.
- Independent and group research projects to analyze the performance of public and private aspects of the supply chain.
- Seminar sessions using case studies and experts from industry and government to examine the benefits of Supply Chain Management.
- Visits to firms and DoD agencies to discuss the value of Supply Chain Management and the need for logistics transformation.
Supply Chain Management Defined
Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals' (CSCMP) Definition of Supply Chain Management :
Supply Chain Management encompasses the planning and management of all activities involved in sourcing
and procurement, conversion, and all Logistics Management activities. Importantly, it also includes coordination
and collaboration with channel partners, which can be suppliers, intermediaries, third-party service providers,
and customers. In essence, Supply Chain Management integrates supply and demand management within
and across companies.
Supply Chain Management - Boundaries & Relationships:
Supply Chain Management is an integrating function with primary responsibility for linking major business
functions and business processes within and across companies into a cohesive and high-performing business
model. It includes all of the Logistics Management activities noted above, as well as manufacturing operations,
and it drives coordination of processes and activities with and across marketing, sales, product design, finance,
and information technology.
- Produce educated strategic thinkers who possess in-depth expertise in the resource component of national security strategy.
- Educate, inform, and influence national and international security communities with regard to evolving security resource management issues.
- Be the nation?s premier educational institution in the area of national security resource management.
- Provide a program of joint professional military education that prepares graduates to operate in a multi-service,
interagency, and international environment.
- Develop a cadre of military and DoD personnel with a conceptual comprehension of supply chain management, its advantages
and potential applications to the nation.
- Cooperate with DoD and supporting agencies to enhance a common understanding and appreciation for supply
chain management?s ability to create efficiencies while effectively supporting the war-fighter.
For more information on this program contact: Dr Paul Needham (firstname.lastname@example.org).