Admission Information: Government Information Leadership Master of Science Degree Program
ALL application documents must be submitted to the iCollege Office of Student Services in one package via postal mail to:
NDU iCollege Office of Student Services
300 5th Avenue, Marshall Hall
Fort McNair, Washington, DC
or hand delivery to the Office of Student Services Marshall Hall Bldg. 62, Room 145. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant. (Application materials for complete packages become the property of the College and cannot be returned.)
Application forms you will need:
1. Application for Admission form. Students must complete the attached application in its entirety. Unsigned applications will be considered incomplete and the student will be notified via email of the missing information.
2. Résumé. The résumé should include a complete work history that describes the applicant’s position title, organization, responsibilities, and accomplishments, and any awards or recognitions earned for each position held. If there are gaps in the résumé, a short paragraph is required to explain them.
3. Employer Verification and Sponsorship Form for the GIL Master of Science Program (M.S.-EV Form). The Employer Verification and Sponsorship Form is required to verify employment. The applicant’s most immediate supervisor or Human Resources Officer holding a grade of GS/GM-12, O-4, or higher, must complete and sign the form. (Private sector applicants: The applicant’s sponsoring government agency’s contract coordinator or supervisor must complete this form.) The form must be printed on organizational letterhead.
4. One supervisory letter of recommendation and one academic or professional letter of recommendation. Two recommendation letters are required for admission to the GIL M.S. Degree Program. Recommendations should be completed on either the recommendation form or by a letter written on organizational letterhead by the recommender. All recommendation letters, regardless of format must address the questions asked on the iCollege recommendation form. At least one recommendation must come from an individual in the applicant’s professional supervisory chain. The second may come from another source (e.g., professional). Both recommendations should be written by persons able to judge the applicant’s ability to complete a challenging graduate-level degree program.
Recommenders are asked to comment on the applicant’s leadership potential, academic ability, motivation to complete the degree program, and the applicant’s commitment to leading Information Age defense and government organizations. Recommendations must be placed in a sealed and signed envelope and returned to the student. Recommendations emailed directly to the iCollege will not be accepted.
5. Official Transcript(s). Applicants must submit one official transcript from the Bachelor’s degree granting institution and all graduate institutions where graduate work was earned or attempted (regardless of whether credit or degree was issued). An official transcript must bear the official seal of the issuing institution. Transcripts from the NDU iCollege do NOT need to be submitted; however transcripts from other NDU components (e.g., National War College) must be submitted.
6. English Language Proficiency: ECL or TOEFL scores (as necessary). Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate their ability to communicate using the English language by passing either the ECL with a score of 85, or the TOEFL with a score of 213 (computer based), unless their degree is from an institution where the curriculum was taught exclusively in English. Contact the NDU iCollege Office of Student Services for details on this requirement.
Complete applications will be reviewed within four to eight weeks of receipt, depending on application volume. Questions concerning the status of pending applications should be addressed to the Office of Student Services by phone (202-685-6300; DSN 325-6300) or e-mail to iCollegeOSS@ndu.edu.
Applicants to the GIL MS Degree program will receive an e-mail notification of their admissions decision from the Dean of Faculty and Academic Programs and also communication from the Office of Student Services which will detail the admitted student’s program status and his/her academic advisor contact information.
ACCEPTANCE OF ADMISSION
Admitted students must confirm their acceptance to the GIL MS Degree program in writing via email to the iCollege Office of Student Services iCollegeOSS@ndu.edu and to their advisor. Instructions and deadlines will be included in the offer of admission letter.
Additional questions may be directed to the Office of Student Services at iCollegeOSS@ndu.edu or by phone (202-685-6300, DSN 325-6300).