MISSION: NDU educates joint warfighters and other national security leaders in critical thinking and the creative application of military power to inform national strategy and globally integrated operations, under conditions of disruptive change, in order to prevail in war, peace, and competition.
VISION: NDU will create strategic advantage by developing joint warfighters and other national security leaders and forging relationships through whole-of-nations and whole-of-government educational programs, research and engagement.
PURPOSE: "Educating, Developing and Inspiring National Security Leaders."
- Education is our business
- National security is the focus of our business
- Leaders are the essence of our business
GUIDING PRINCIPLES: The following principles shape the culture of NDU.
- Academic Excellence: National Defense University shall always foster and promote scholarly distinction.
- Academic Freedom: National Defense University shall always foster and protect free expression, rigorous analysis, and open intellectual exchange based on professionalism and respect for others.
- Collaboration: National Defense University shall always foster transparent, inclusive, and complementary processes and decision-making activities.
- Diversity: National Defense University shall always embrace a mixture of people, culture, and ideas.
- Holistic Development: National Defense University shall always foster and promote an environment that nurtures intellectual development and total well-being and resilience, and encourages life-long learning.
- Integrity: National Defense University shall always foster and promote a culture of trust, openness, honesty, and ethical conduct.